Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Living together....is an adjustment

I know I have been slacking on my posts. Since I have moved to my new home with Matt, I haven't had much time to blog. We also don't have internet at the house. I don't know if any of you have ever tried to conduct a blog post from your cell phone, smart phone or not, it's tough.

Wait....I didn't tell you I moved?

While I said I wouldn't live with anyone before marriage, again, Matt and I broke that rule. I moved in last month. I said goodbye to the cottage I called home for the last year and moved in. It is nice to have a place to call our home.

So, why break my own rule? Well, for a big reason....money. I know, I know....a lot of people say that.

Now that we are engaged, we are planning a wedding. Since this is my second wedding (sigh....I still hate admitting that), I am paying for it myself (well, Matt and I are). His parents are paying for the bar and my mom wants to pay for my wedding dress, but other than that, we are on our own. My dad said last year that he wouldn't pay for a second wedding. So, in order for us to get married (in less than 10 years...ok, I am totally exaggerating, but you get the point), we decided to move in together. We created a budget for our wedding and living expenses (we are total financial nerds like that......excel spreadsheets and all!). While this is not what we originally wanted to do, we don't have the luxury of living at home with our folks to save money (if that's considered a "luxury"...haha, j/k!) or having our parents pay for a majority of our wedding.

Now, this isn't meant to be a boo-hoo post. We are excited about this journey together. We see this as an early life and marriage lesson. We are learning how to manage and budget our money together. We also get to make wedding decisions ourselves without feeling like we "owe" it to our parents to do something we don't want to do. That sounds so awful, but I know a lot of people who don't invite a lot of their friends, because their parents say no and invite all of their friends instead, simply because they are paying for it. That's not cool.

So, day 1 of living together went a little like this.......

It was a Sunday after church, when a friend of ours (who has a truck and access to a trailor) from our church helped us carry, load and haul all the final BIG furniture. It was like 80+ degrees outside. Ouch. Bad day to move. Oops. He wouldn't take gas money (he is the NICEST kid in the world!), so we treated him to dinner out. Sweaty messes and all, we trailed into the local Mexican restaurant.

Matt said, we could take our time unpacking......ha! That didn't last long, because as soon as we got home, he started hanging pictures and stuff on the walls and asking me where we wanted to put things.

For a moment there, he had a tiny panic attack. There we were surrounded by boxes, clothes and furniture to be moved into their designated location (where...we didn't know). "Why do you have so many clothes? There's no way you possibly wear all of these? Where are my clothes going to go?" Big Sigh. That was Matt. For the first time in years, he had to share space with someone else. He was not prepared for this. It has taken some getting used to.....living together. The habits you don't realize you have are soon pointed out and questioned by the other person. After I don't know how many hours of moving furniture, putting the million and one kitchen tools and utensils away and sorting for Goodwill and my college students, and attempting to make this mess a home, we went to bed around midnight. It was a long day.

I have since taken a few trips to Goodwill to donate bags of clothes and misc house items. More trips are in the future. It feels good to organize and donate to others.

Matt has adjusted to female hair products, make-up and my clothes taking over his closet and dresser. Now that I have someone to come home to, I look forward to leaving the office every day at 5:00pm on the dot. I no longer linger around working late at the office. Going home after work has become a treat. :)

No comments: